Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Resources

It took us 9 months to finish our master bath remodel (and that's after 3 years of wandering down the hall to shower). I'll get through posting about it in less time. I hope.

If you're considering remodeling, here's a list of my favorite haunts:
  1. John Bridge Tile forum: Friendly, friendly folks who really know their stuff! They will walk you through every bit of a tile job, and educate you even if you just want to make sure yours is done right by a professional (air quotes optional).
  2. Gardenweb's Bath forum: Although it looks like a gardening site, it's expanded with remodeling forums as well. There are separate forums for all areas of the home, but I hung out here, of course.
  3. Terry Love's Toilet report: Afraid of low flow toilets? There really are some good ones out there!
  4. Homeclick: I had good luck buying from them. YMMV
  5. Warmly Yours: "He who must be obeyed" really, really, really wanted warm floors. He got them.
  6. Corian: And I really wanted a Corian vanity top with integrated sinks. I got it. It's purdy.

I spent a lot of time perusing these sites, especially the tile forum, and especially when I thought I'd never find a decent tile guy. I got guys coming over to bid who thought using mastic (a water soluble glue) in the shower was just fine. Or the one who thought putting cardboard behind the glass listello in the shower would hold up okay. Or the one who just huffed out when I insisted on using our already purchased Swanstone base (another HWMBO warm foot requirement).

After some plumbing disasters and the above interviews, I posted on the John Bridge forum that I just might have to do this myself. I was quaking, but I knew I could do a better job (albeit much slower) than these bozos. Thankfully I caught the ear of a local guy who had just had a huge addition done by Bud Wilson of et al Enterprises in Raleigh. And he does tile! Well!

My knees were saved.


Technorati tags:

2 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't you put a picture of the what the bathroom looks like finished? I found it interesting to see all the phases that it went through. I didn't get to see those before.
This was very interesting to look at. :-)
Judith

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger geekette said...

I will, I will...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home