Monday, May 29, 2006

Please, blogger, don't eat my post again

Putting in the floor warming mats and tile!
I guess I whined enough about the "lack of facilities" that Bud put the shower on hold and started in on the floor. It wasn't level, of course, but with a healthy dose of thinset and the addition of cement backerboard, it was close enough for now.

To heat the floor, I picked Warmly Yours. They have a lot of positive mentions on the John Bridge tile forums and it's easy to get answers there, either from a Warmly Yours rep, or other tile experts who post. Their programmable thermostat will pre-warm the floor to our temperature choice mornings and evenings, and and turn off when we're not there. I also liked their interactive online project planner, which makes it simple to get an estimate of material cost. Well, it's simple if you don't have funny angles like we do, but with a bit of fiddling, I got the layout correct and got my quote.

They determine the length of the heat mat and send a diagram of where to snip, flip, and rotate so it covers the floor most effeciently. Bud, below, is transferring their template to the floor.



Here's a shot of the heat mat in place, before the next layer of thinset. You don't want it too close to the toilet's wax ring, and of course there's no reason to put it under the cabinets!



Bud brought out his levels again and put down another layer of thinset to cover. We've putzed around with the layout enough that he knows where to start the "hop scotch" tile pattern we wanted.



Things moved along right quickly - it's done! After the grout goes in, the pattern won't be nearly as noticible since we picked a grout color similar to the tile. It's....subtle. *g*



Technorati Tags:



1 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I could swear I posted a comment here about my contractor and his fear of "new-fangled" floor heating and such. Hmmmm... where'd it go?!?

Anywho... Cool (heh) floor! I really, really wanted warm floors, but alas, it was not meant to be.

I live in California. I think I'll survive. Hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home