Friday, May 26, 2006

Who's Kerdi?

That was the answer I got when I asked local tile guys if they'd ever worked with Kerdi. Not the answer I was looking for. *g*

Kerdi is a relatively new product used to water proof showers. No more of that nasty drywall/rusty nail/mildew stew!Kerdi is a thin waterproof membrane that goes over drywall and just underneath the tile. It dries out quickly after each shower, cutting down on mildew which needs water to thrive.

In my reading on the John Bridge forums, I decided that this was what I wanted in our shower. It just seemed to make sense, and in a pinch, I could most likely do it myself. I didn't want to, but I wasn't having much luck finding anyone who'd worked with it (or wanted to try) until, as I mentioned before, I was put in touch with Bud. Yeah Bud!


First section of Kerdi up. The Corian seat was put on after the Kerdi, so the entire shower area is waterproof.

The Kerdi's done, and the tiles are starting to go up. The left wall wasn't flat, so Bud had to build it out with mud to keep the tiles from looking funny.

Only one more row before the bullnose cap. The glass tiles will eventually go in the gap. Bud has to build up the wall a bit because the glass isn't as thick as the field tile.


But that will have to wait. Everything in the shower - time to start the floor!



Technorati tags:

1 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My idiot didn't bother to build up the wall behind the glass tile. Oy.

Lookin' good so far. Love the Kerdi. I don't have that either. Um, next time could you blog BEFORE my construction?!

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home