Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Do stale smoke and beer create talent?

"He didn't pay his dues playing dives and smoky bars".

I hear this all the time with regard to American Idol alums. But all I can say is so? What the heck does inhaling smoke and beer fumes have to do with being able to sing? If you perform in a lot of nasty places, do you collect talent points? Are these redeemable at your local record label? Do they make people notice you? I mean other than the stench wafting off your clothes, that is.

I say no.

Talent is something you have. It must be nurtured, honed, explored, challenged. But dives are not the only places you can become a seasoned performer, and bars don't infuse aptitude along with booze. Kelly, Ruben, Clay, et al, worked for years; they practiced, made demos, performed in groups, bands, or alone. They got experience, even if you never heard of them before their stint on American Idol. Even if they didn't (or weren't allowed to) talk about their past. Bars, shmars. Give me someone who can entertain me, and I'll plunk my money down.

Like this guy:


Or this guy:



Or this guy:

Save your distaste for no talent, pro-tooled "stars" like Ashlee Simpson, Hillary Duff, or, heaven help us, Paris Hilton. I'll just enjoy the folks who can actually sang.

Technorati tags:


4 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

I'll sit beside you enjoying those who can sing as well. Besides, Clay really did pay dues - it's just that he doesn't talk about it and no "journalist" bothers to find that out about him. All those Hometown Connection shows, talent contests, theater -- the man didn't spring up from a cabbage patch with the performing skills he has. Now the charisma -- that's a natural for sure.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world is gonna be hit upside the head with the POWER OF CLAY....quite soon.

I can't think of anyone else to be stranded with.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Allegra said...

I like to know the percentage of pop stars who truly have paid dues the old-fashioned way. Not many I imagine.

I wonder if we'll hear any kvetching about Paris Hilton paying her dues. Hee!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Idle-wandering said...

Love the title of this entry--not to mention the thoughts you express. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home