Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Better than chocolate


Now there's a button I proudly wear. I'm a chocoholic. My list of favorite people include both Ben and Jerry, and I'd sign a petition to cannonize the folks at Dove.

But there is a food that's better than chocolate.



Geographically limited, inexpensive when in season, and good for you, so I'm told. If you live outside of North Carlolina, you've probably never had any - North Carolina Sandhills peaches. Grocery store peaches, picked unripe, shipped, and warehoused, just can't compare. I walked through Harris Teeter recently and was tempted by the aroma of thier SC peaches on display. I bought a couple, hoping for some magic. While they had the wonderful aroma of ripe summer peaches and a bit of flavor, they had an astringent flesh that's just not good for eating out of hand.

My husband's from the Sandhills area, and he's related (distantly) to the Aumans mentioned in the above article. I've been to both those peach stands, of course, and more! There are dozens of varieties to sample, with names like Georgia Belle, White Lady, Biscoe, and Clayton (yes, Clayton). Tree ripe fresh peaches are incredibly good, but they have to be eaten within days, or peeled, sliced, and frozen. Then you thaw them out and eat them on toast for breakfast! Yup!

More traditionally, my mother-in-law used to make the most wonderful peach cobbler. Nothing but melted butter, milk, sugar, self rising flour and peaches. Lots of peaches. Melt the butter in the pan, mix up the batter, pour it in and dump the peaches on top. While it's baking the batter rises around the peaches and turns golden and yummy. I'm hungry for some peaches!

It's almost time to clear out some room in the freezer for this year's crop. Hmmm....didn't Clay say at one time that his favorite ice cream is Bryer's Peach?

Pssst! Call me, Clay. I have connections!

5 Comments:

At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slurp!

My Georgia gramma made the best peach cobbler. Musta been those NC peaches. Now that mom lives out there, I've had the pleasure. And a pleasure it is!

My retirement is looking better every day.

Yum!

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw your comment in my blog. If you weren't just kidding or just you know, saying whatever, and you want some help playing with your design, I'd be happy to. Cuz I love to do that! Got any ideas?

If you were just kidding....well... never mind! *g*

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jemock said...

OMG, I love peaches. I'm a peach whore. But I'm a peach snob, too. I grew up in Georgia and there is nothing like a Georgia peach. I love the white peaches the best. God, that's some good stuff there. *takes a moment* That's the peach snob talking.

But even in the absence of good Georgia peaches, I'll eat just about whatever happens to be in the market. Even the ones that tasted like potatoes. And that is the peach whore talking.

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you did it! Congrats!

*pats you*

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Jannet said...

I haven't thought about peaches in ages! But right this minute?... I can practically smell 'em!

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to settle for a little *chocolate* and vino tonight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home