Sunday, June 11, 2006

Spring!

Okay, so it's almost summer, but we've had a wonderfully long spring. I think today was the first really muggy day this year. Glad I got out yesterday!

There's a pretty lake in a park near our house, and a 2 mile paved path encircles it. There are always enough people walking and biking to make it agreeable to walk alone. Yesterday I took my camera and went to check out the babies. Baby ducks, that is.


All the human traffic (with the obligatory bread) makes for some rather brave ducks. This little guy was quite forward, even though all I had to offer was a camera lens.

His momma stayed back a bit. Oh look - a swan! Last year there was one swan here, this year I've seen 2.

Make that three! My, that is an ugly duckling...


I'd been watching the ducks and swans while chatting with some other observers when the adult swans started hissing. We hadn't moved! Then we noticed the snake. The swans chased him off, while the cygnet bravely swam away...


If you think this is a poisonous snake, please don't tell me! I like to walk here!

Technorati tags:




1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Idle-wandering said...

When I was younger, I loved to swim in lakes around Raleigh--and we were always told there was only one kind of snake to watch out for and stay clear of. I was daring or dumb, whichever, but I never came to any harm. You said not to tell you, so I won't, but you might want to google water mocassin, otherwise known as cottonmouth. On the other hand, it's probably a juvenile northern water snake--harmless. They are easily mistaken for water mocassins. I'm no expert, and can't tell the difference. The good news is unless you're planning to go for a swim, or splash along the edges of the water without paying attention, you shouldn't have any problems whichever it is. Great photo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home